Monday, January 22, 2018

Think Happy Thoughts

The new beaver lodge in one of our ponds
Those on the left side of the political spectrum have long made fun of those on the right, viewing them as stupid, uneducated, or simply brain-dead automatons. I've done it myself on a number of occasions, probably on this blog. It's a simplistic way of thinking, however, and does us no good.

"Climate Denier" is the term used to paint them with derision, because it's now de rigueur for right-leaning politicians to pretend that climate change doesn't exist, isn't man-made, or at least is something we can successfully adapt to. In a corporatocracy such as our own, espousing such views as a politician is also highly lucrative.

It occurred to me recently that the left is also full of climate deniers, though they would never refer to themselves as such. The first stage was "change your light bulbs and recycle!", followed by "buy a Prius!", and now seems to be mostly "we'll save the world with electric cars, solar panels, and wind power".

It's not the existence of climate change that the left denies; they're simply in denial of the speed and severity with which it is occurring. Thus, the left's denial is a failure to truly grasp the reality of our situation.

Anyone who points out this fact -- that the emperor truly has no clothes -- is viewed with suspicion, as mentally ill, suicidal, or a right-wing poser who just wants environmentalists to give up their campaigns. There's a commonly held belief that we should all have "glass half full" attitudes, that we should cover up unpleasant realities with a happy facade, think only happy thoughts, and live our lives as if all were well even when it isn't. Facing an unpleasant reality is decidedly unpopular, but I think it allows us to make the right decisions and live our lives in the best way possible.

The only way we make it out of this predicament is through a massive program to remove CO2 from the atmosphere and chemically convert it into a stable form (like coal!). Stop for a moment, and try to imagine all the energy we've derived from fossil fuels over the last few centuries. The laws of thermodynamics tell us it will require more energy to return this CO2 to a stable form. Where will we get that energy, which we would need to fully deploy within the next decade? We won't, because it simply doesn't exist. That's why I'm not optimistic when people tell me that humans are infinitely creative and can solve any problem we've created for ourselves. We can no more solve this problem than we can travel at light speed or create a perpetual motion machine.

So what's to be gained by embracing the reality of our predicament, and giving up (false) hope?  Quite a bit, I think. First of all, let's remind ourselves that we all received a terminal diagnosis on the day we were born, as death is the unavoidable side effect of life. So, our situation as individuals hasn't really changed. It's only our collective situation that's different now.

Allow me to use a friend of mine as an example that we might want to emulate. At eight years old, he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. He underwent surgery to remove a large tumor from his abdomen (courtesy of C. Everett Koop, who went on to become surgeon general), and his cancer treatment was successful.

He was in his late 20's when I met him, and related to me that the experience had changed his life. He knew that the cancer could return at any time, and lived his life not cowering in fear, but embracing life and seeking out adventures and experiences that most of us would put on our "someday" list.  He fully understood that his "someday" was no longer guaranteed. Our "someday" is, at this point, not a likely prospect either.  If you're not enjoying your life today, how would you change it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, I've been following you for a while now after I ran across some comments you made on Grist, I believe it was. I particularly find interesting your struggle with losing your motivation to continue a lifestyle that is at odds with the prevailing Western mode of life - at least the mode of life that has arisen in the past 70 years or so. It's amazing that our culture has lost so much knowledge in the space of three generations.

I, too, maintain a small homestead (in Texas)and constantly find myself questioning my ability and efficacy in affecting change. I believe the lack of close community contact (at least a community that hold my own values as dearly as I do) and the unending barrage and temptation of modern "conveniences" erodes our resolve to do what we know is right for the world. (I, too, have a small air conditioner. My dream of living with minimal electrical needs seems to slip farther away each year.)

I would not presume to subject you to a "pep talk," and I most assuredly do not judge you for your compromises or perceived lapses into consumerism - we all answer for our own choices. I simply wanted to reach out and say "Hello" to a fellow traveler on a similar path. While not quite reassuring, it is strengthening to hear someone who holds similar ideas, dreams and values give voice to some of the challenges of undertaking a lifestyle that receives minimal support and ample disdain from modern society. I am not alone. Thank you.

Also, I have been enamored with 18th century woodcraft/trekking for a few decades. I hunt with a flintlock and have made similar garments and accoutrements as you describe. The warm and simple organic beauty and utility of the tools is somehow soothing. It's good to know someone feels similar affections for those artifacts.

I wish you the best of luck and perseverance. The rewards of our choices today will not be harvested by us, unfortunately, but by those we inspire. We simply forge ourselves into solitary links of a chain that is anchored in the past and flows to the future.

My best,

Dan

David Veale said...

Thanks for the kind words -- nice to hear from a kindred spirit such as yourself!

While my resolve certainly wavers at times, I'm still living -- more or less -- according to the same ideals that brought me to this point. But I've recently become acutely aware of all that I've given up to do this, such as trips to the mountains or sailing in the San Juans (upon which my life revolved when I lived in Washington). Perhaps I just need a little more balance, though I'm finding it exceedingly difficult to figure out how to get away for even a few days while maintaining a homestead complete with a large garden, orchard, livestock and pets. Heck, it was difficult even when we lived in town and only had two dogs to arrange accommodations for!

It can be overwhelming to think of the problems in the world that we hope to change. I regularly have to remind myself that I can only change what I'm directly responsible for, but it's certainly frustrating when I can see so few others who feel similarly responsible.

Interesting that we've both been drawn to such common interests. You'll have to pay us a visit if you ever find yourself in the neighborhood.

Dan Hayes said...

I understand the challenges of finding "free" time. Two of my passions are backpacking and flyfishing and it's difficult to make the time to get away. It was impossible to leave when we had a jersey cow we had to milk every day, but we no longer have a dairy animal (a mixed blessing) so our time is a tad more flexible. But a steer, pigs, chickens and garden require commitment as you well know. The key, as you said, is balance.

Perhaps one day I'll make a maiden road trip to the upper Midwest.

Take care and I look forward to reading future posts.

Dan