Sunday, February 28, 2021

Motivation




I haven't had a whole lot to say lately, in large part because there are few things about which I've got any great deal of confidence nowadays.  On the one issue where I do still have an (unfortunately) high level of confidence, the window of opportunity for positive change has passed such that it seems unproductive to try and educate anyone. Talking about climate change anymore feels like striking up a conversation on electric chairs and nooses with a death-row inmate.  It seems better to let everyone maintain a state of blissful ignorance for as long as they can, as the ultimate outcome will be no different.

I spent a lot of money on hay to feed our small Jersey herd yesterday, as our own hay production last year was horrible due to the drought and the fact that our hayfields are overdue for replanting.  Paid about 30% more than ever before.  This was a reminder that our modest herd is not self-sustainable from our own acreage, at least not without a steady stream of purchased inputs (lime, potash, alfalfa seed, etc).  We don't currently need the milk, and in fact I only milk about once a week now as I let the calf take all she wants.  Rachel and Henry have stopped drinking milk, and I'm probably allergic to it (chances are it's one of the triggers for my eosinophillic esophagitis, which makes it difficult to swallow food at times).  

So keeping cows at the moment doesn't seem particularly smart, especially when the costs amortized over the milk we consume probably put it close to $30 a gallon.  A Simpson's reference comes to mind here.

On the other hand, we would likely be able to feed one or two cows for a while (we currently have 3 cows and a young bull) if things really go south -- and that milk would instantly become a whole lot more valuable to ourselves as well as our neighbors.  Ditto for the manure to keep gardens producing well.  

Such Chicken-Little thoughts get tiring after a while though, as does forking out a never ending supply of hay and the resulting manure.  Then there's the never ending hoof-trimming and occasional veterinary issues, and the fact that on-farm butchers have all disappeared, or that it's no longer possible to schedule with any of the few remaining butchers (whom I'd have to deliver a live animal to, which is not always easy) with less than a year's notice now.

Another lesson from yesterday's hay purchase came from one of the farmers I bought it from.  He was missing an arm. I presumed either a wartime injury or perhaps a farm related accident had cost him his limb, but it turns out that neither was the cause.  He simply wore out his shoulder putting up so much hay over so many years that his arm ceased to remain attached, and his doctors suggested complete removal.  

It's not that all farm work is drudgery -- far from it, in fact.  I still love working with cows as well as the horses, and I also miss our old flock of sheep.  It's just that all of this work, when added on to the requirement of a full-time job makes it nearly impossible to do other things that I would  enjoy even more. Farms simply don't mesh well with a recreation filled life of canoeing, sailing, skiing, hunting, climbing, or a myriad of other things that I once enjoyed at every opportunity.

Granted, contemplating a life without the need for hard physical labor is a luxury afforded to only the last few generations in most families.  My great grandparents, farming in southern Illinois exclusively with mules up through the early 50s, had no such option. In some ways it seems dishonorable for me to even consider it. At other times, I feel like the little piggy who built the brick house, looking longingly at the carefree lifestyle of his brother in the straw house and wondering if talk of the big-bad-wolf was just a bunch of nonsense.  

Is there a big-bad wolf?  Is he coming anytime soon? The lesson to be gleaned from the fable of the Three Little Pigs hinges upon this vital bit of information.  The brick house, as it turns out, is NOT always better.

5 comments:

Brian said...

David,
As I sit and type, nursing a muscle tear in my shoulder, I am tempted to pump my fist in the air and shout “comrade”. Except it would hurt… a lot. Indeed, were I to catalog the aches and pains attributable to 21 years of farming, we would all grow bored and alarmed.
This past year has shown both the system frailties in small farms and the strengths. The latter have always been known to you and me. The former, I think, took us both by surprise. The access to custom, not to mention USDA, slaughterhouses has always been limited. But I did not expect that limitation to become the weakness in our own meager business model that it did.
We have made do. And the situation is improving. Many of the booked slots are now opening up. So, the processors are working through the wait lists. And many of them now are putting limits on how far out you can book. We had some that accepted booking through 2024. Sheer idiocy!
But in the short-term, with fingers crossed, it hurt. Raising and feeding hogs out to giant weights affected both the feed bill and the customers expectations as to cost. We also, and I really should not complain, had so many new customers that I got tired of explaining the process. That part of farming, the seeking out and educating of a new customer (no, you will not get bacon with your side of a steer) is tiresome.
I have always prided myself on putting up enough hay. Except this past year. So, like you, I am spending that hard earned farm income on off-the-farm-forage. That hurts.
Anyway, I still feel it is all worth it, for any number of similar reasons you enumerated. But and I mean this in the most literal sense, I feel your pain.
Cheers,
Brian

David Veale said...

Hi Brian!
Good to hear that you're seeing some slots open up at your local abattoirs -- hopefully that will be the case here as well. One of the few remaining keeps telling us "we can't find any 2022 calendars, so aren't taking reservations yet", so we keep calling to see if they have a calendar yet. I'm sure we could do our own slaughter, but that's no small task on a cow!

BTW -- enjoyed your last post on what the satellite images captured of your farm -- I've similarly studied my own, and enjoy seeing the progress of various projects vs. what was shown on the satellite image.

Shirley J said...

David, could you address, please, why Bill Gates is buying up so much farm land when he only believes in eating 'fake' food? Do we need to get worried considering current conditions?

David Veale said...

Hi Shirley,
I wouldn't get too concerned about his holdings just yet, which are still relatively small.
At 250k acres or thereabouts, it's less than 1/6th of Whatcom county.

With that said, I think I share many of Gates's concerns about our future in terms of environment. He's undoubtedly taken note of the smoke that bathes the Puget Sound region each summer now, among other notable shifts around the world over the last 5 years.

While I greatly disagree with the solutions I see him striving for, I think I understand his motivations. Whether he started as a sociopath or his wealth turned him into one (as some psychological studies might suggest), I think he is one. His past business practices certainly suggest that it goes back many years. I think that gives him a different perspective on the rest of humanity, which might enable something that the rest of us would label as "evil".

My theory at this point is that he and the people he can relate to at the World Economic Forum have grown scared and taken it upon themselves to do something about our ongoing climate disaster, considering that no government has demonstrated any effective abilities in this regard, and also that this group of people is the only group with the actual means.

Eating less meat would undoubtedly have a dramatic reduction in our agricultural land use requirements, and probably a great (and negative) overall impact on human health, imho. The chemically enabled GMO crops that go into those fake "meats" represent the very worst that agriculture has to offer, imho. Not just for us, but for everything around us, including the organisms which comprise a significant portion of our life support systems on the planet. But I think his push for tecnho-meats is secondary.

My biggest concern at the moment is Gates's push for the covid vaccines, particularly the MRNA vaccines. The evidence I'm seeing now suggests that they have a likely effect of sterilization of a significant percentage of the population as well as a not-insignificant death toll on their own (VAERS now registers nearly 6,000 dead in the US -- and according to the CDC contains reports of about 1% of actual adverse events).

Pfizer apparently did perform some rat studies with their vaccine, and found a 9% drop in fertility of those receiving the vaccine -- something which they labeled as statistically insignificant. I've heard numerous reports of miscarriages among vaccinated pregnant women, and also seen a study obtained from a FOIA request (or the equivalent) to the Japanese government for tissue deposition studies of the vaccine. Those studies showed that the vaccine distributes itself widely throughout the body instead of remaining in the shoulder tissues as was initially advertised, and showed that the vaccine deposited itself in uterine/ovarian tissue at a rate several times of that found in any other tissue.

Covid itself may very well have many of the same effects, as the spike protein (which is now shown to cause much if not most of the damage) is present in both (though indirectly in the vaccine, which causes our bodies to manufacture it).

So now that humans have an unblemished track record for ignoring threats to our own existence, and a near perfect track record of resisting positive behavioral change, population reduction seems like the obvious last resort. The virus and vaccines provide for plausible deniability of what I think is basically a global population reduction program. Reducing the population in this manner seems better than simply killing people outright, if one accepts that is is now necessary to reduce the population to save humanity (it is probably too late to have the desired effect, imho). If it works, it's definitely better than allowing us to completely destroy and wipe ourselves off the planet with fossil fuels. So perhaps I should just shut up about it....?

(blogger is making me cut this short due to a character limit on comments -- send me an email and I'll fill in the rest)

David Veale said...

(just got smart and thought to put the rest in a second comment... duh!)

The fact that all effective medications for covid have been censored (HCQ, Ivermectin, Fluvoxamine) speaks to a deeper motivation which is not that of public health.

Many members of my own family are concerned that I've gone off the deep end, so I won't take offense if you find yourself aligned with them. 8^)

My other theory on Gates is that his recent divorce is motivated not by his frequent visits to see Jeffrey Epstein, as that had clearly ceased quite a while ago now. I think that Melinda knows what he's up to and wanted no part of his population control program.

Some interesting reading on Gates, if you haven't come across it before. Not exactly the sweater-wearing Mr. Rogers image that he's been working up over the last few years. https://unlimitedhangout.com/2021/05/investigative-reports/the-cover-up-continues-the-truth-about-bill-gates-microsoft-and-jeffrey-epstein/